1. A new card reader system has been installed in the sps room so you may now use your wku id to access the sps room. You must have your information added to the database before you can use the system.
2. The Physics and Astronomy Department is looking for volunteers for the Physics Olympics feb 21 and science Olympiad apr 25. Please stop by the Department office or the SPS room if you are interested in volunteering.
3. Attention astronomers: The AAS-KAM conference is coming up. Mar 23 at EKU with TN and Ohio
4. SPS field trip to the Huntsville space center. Details to come soon.
5. The SPS needs volunteers for Public outreach at Franklin Elementary School. No specific date has been set.
6. We have been discussing the possibility of going to Beech Bend as a study of the physics of rollercoasters. We would like to develop a phone app to record data as the coaster is in motion.
7. We also now have an SPS Facebook page facebook.com/SPSWKU so please link to the page.
8. SKySci Fest, the Southcentral Kentucky Science Festival, will have its Expo day at Circus Square Park in downtown Bowling Green on Saturday May 2nd from 9 to 4. The SPS (along with most other science clubs on campus) has been invited to staff a booth with family-friendly interactive activities.
At 7pm on Thursday evening April 30th, as part of SKySci Fest, Dr. Jeffrey Bennett will be presenting a free public talk: “Black Holes Don’t Suck! – An Intuitive Introduction to Einstein’s Relativity Theories and Why They Matter” at the DSU Auditorium.
9. The Next Generation Physics Teaching meeting at EKU is Friday and Saturday, March 13 + 14.
It has been organized by the Kentucky Association of Physics Teachers (KAPT), in cooperation with the Ohio, Tennessee, and West Virginia sections of the AAPT. The Kentucky astronomers groups is jointly meeting at this regional conference. The website and online registration is at http://ngpt.aaptsections.org