Conferences for Undergraduate Women in Physics
With the support of the National Science Foundation, the Department of Energy, and host institutions, the American Physical Society is sponsoring eight parallel Conferences for Undergraduate Women in Physics (CUWiP) in January 2014 in different locations around the country: Florida State U., Louisiana State U., Penn State U., Stony Brook U., U. of California at Berkeley, U. of Chicago, U. of Maryland, and U. of Utah. Each brings together successful female physicists with undergraduate women in physics to highlight career opportunities and the research and experiences of professional female physicists. Ample opportunities will be provided for interactions between all participants. Conferences will include:
- presentations by professional physicists on their cutting edge research and personal career paths
- panels featuring career opportunities outside academia
- workshops or panels offering guidance on how to get involved in summer research, the graduate school application process and grad life, networking, and communication skills
- an opportunity for undergraduate attendees to present their research as a talk or in a poster session
- tours of local physics research facilities
- EXPOs featuring a Grad School Fair, a Career Fair, and resources from national physics-related societies.
Lodging and meals will be provided for participants who are accepted to the conference. Students should discuss travel support with their home institutions or research mentors, as applicable. The deadline for applications is November 1, 2013.