Meeting Minutes: 31 January
Our first meeting of the semester was yesterday, but if you missed it, here’s what we discussed:
- If you would like to join, there are membership forms across the hall from the SPS room (TCCW 238), attached to the bulletin board.
- We will be restarting Physics Fun Nights this semester; the first will be on 9 February at 6:00 pm (meet in the SPS room). They will be on the second Saturday of each month.
- We discussed the possibility of a trip to the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) in Greenbank, West Virginia. The tour is $5, and in addition to the public tour, Dr. Boyles will be able to give us an extensive tour of the 140ft (43m) telescope. The preferable option for a date seems to be the later weekend of spring break, but nothing is finalized yet. There are a few lodging options at NRAO (including free lodging in the bunkhouse or paid lodging in the dormitories). Funding for the trip is currently the biggest uncertainty, so we need to know how many people are interested to explore funding options.
- The club set a tentative date for the SPS Picnic on 30 March.
- We will also be resuming Physics Public Nights. The tentative first date is the last Wednesday in February. We need advertising ideas, as well; use the Suggestion Box in the back corner of the SPS room.
- There is a calendar on the bulletin board across from the SPS room, where we will post club events. Feel free to use it to plan/announce study groups in the SPS room.
- Finally, the Physics Olympics are coming to WKU on the 23rd of February. The students will be in several competitions using Mentos and Diet Coke.
Meetings will be on the last Thursday of each month, so I’ll see everyone on 28 February!