SPS Meeting Minutes 10/4/11
- There are 3 trips being talked about. One possible trip is to Vanderbilt during November to tour the medical center, and look at grad school opportunities. The other two trips would be in Spring semester. One possible trip is to Oak Ridge to tour their facilities and the other is to Huntsville Alabama to see the space museum and the school down there. If you are interested tell one of the officers or comment. Also, if you have a different trip you would like the SPS to take talk to one of the officers of put it in the suggestions box.
- The SPS picnic will be Saturday October 22. It is the same day as homecoming but it will be done in plenty of time to go to the game and tailgate. It is free for all SPS members, there will be food, pumpkin carving, trebuchet launching, possible professor dress up contest. Bring extra food if desired (pumpkin pie?).
- There are still SPS T-shirts, they are AWESOME! Talk to Suzanna or Tara to buy one, they are 10$ each.
- Friday October 21 there is going to be an “all nighter.” It is our next Physics fun night, and we are going to dress up, go bowling, and possibly eat out. It will be a lot of fun, a great time to get out and have some fun! It will start around 8, watch the facebook group for updates or there will be a facebook event created for it.
- There will be outreach events to the local high schoolers. Volunteers will go to local high schools and talk about reasons to become a physics major and careers. If you would like to volunteer, again talk to an officer to get your name put on the list.
- There is an Up ‘til Dawn even coming up. It is an event to raise money for cancer. We would like to get a group together to represent the SPS. There is more information on the way
- Argon is next week, good luck to everyone going!
- KAS abstracts due 10/6/11, there is still time!
- It is possible to get keycard access to the SPS room, contact Jason Leszczewicz to get access (when the door is working again).
- If you are interested in physics tutoring there are open spots. This is a great way to earn a little extra cash and remember the best way to make sure you know something is to teach it. If interested, contact Dr. Van der meer
- Depending on interest there will be a Thanksgiving potluck the Monday or Tuesday before Thanksgiving.
- There are study groups for the GRE. If you want in on the, contact Suzanna or someone else in the study group.